Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rebellion

So many times I have heard people say either directly or indirectly that they want to be a rebel. Sometimes they don't even have to say it because I can tell by the way that they act that they want to be a rebel; these are typically the people who do exactly the opposite of what it asked and look you in the eye and smile while doing it. I don't completely understand this, yet.

Recently, I was talking with a teenager (for some reason I think that people who are in junior high, high school and college seem to want to rebel against something the most) and the statement came out of her mouth that she doesn't do her homework or listen to her parents simply because she doesn't want to do what they want, she wants to do what she wants. I am pretty sure that she only wants to do things her parents don't want her to do. She wants to do well in school, but it is as if since her parents want that also, she suddenly doesn't. I don't get it. I think it is partially a result of our tolerance society that allows us to hold onto many conflicting beliefs. But I think there is more to it than that.

I am beginning to think that the idea of independence/being an unique individual has gone too far. Everyone wants to be their own person and never wants to conform. . . to anything. The problem is that in trying to find our own individuality we end up trying to become someone else that already exists. For instance, in the process of becoming an unique individual this girl who has decided to rebel against her parents has become just like her friends. I wonder what is next, will she rebel against her friends and then become like her siblings? Its all rather cyclical.
So now what? We have a problem: we rebel against someone in order to be our own person but in the process we become someone else that surrounds us. So what is the solution?

Webster defines rebellion as:
"1: opposition to one in authority or dominance 2 a: open, armed, and usually unsuccessful defiance of or resistance to an established government b: an instance of such defiance or resistance"

What if we were to take rebellion into the spiritual realm and do it in a God honoring way? What I am saying is that maybe we should all rebel against Satan. We should oppose him, defy him and resist him. I think that if we were to do this than we would take on a new identity, that being the identity of Christ. As we take on the identity of Christ, I believe that we would all find our own uniqueness in Him.

My new plan is to rebel against Satan.

Just a thought...

1 comment:

  1. Which is why I learned to channel my rebelious nature into a more um...constructive outlet. kinda. XD hey i tagged you.

    ReplyDelete